Am I on track?

Am I on track?

Tuesday 29 November 2011

To race or not to race...

I'm torn between two conflicting ideas about whether or not to race in December.

So what is the case "for"?

One of my favourite racing series - the HPRW Twilight Criterium Series - starts this week. It comprises 6 races (3 in December, and 3 in Jan/Feb), held at 5pm on a Wednesday afternoon at the Nundah Criterium Circuit.  There is something incredibly fun about mid-week, after-work racing.  Not sure what it is, but it makes the Wednesday 'hump day' something to look forward to.

I desperately want to get back to racing, and this is probably my last chance to race in 2011. This year has been non-existent racing-wise, and it would be nice to get a couple of races in before the year is out.  Especially given that I bought my 2011 racing licence back in last December (whilst recovering from my first round of shoulder surgery), and I should get something for my $220!!

The case "against" does exist though.

If I'm honest with myself, I don't have any race fitness at all. So do I shell out my $10 to race, knowing full well I'll be very lucky to make it to half-way? Or do I accept my legs just aren't there?

Realistically, I should just focus on building up some 'base' over December, and target races in the new year with some decent fitness and leg speed under my belt.

At this stage, I'm leaning towards the 'against' argument.  If I think about the 'long game' - it'll be better for me if I forget about doing any high intensity bike work for now, and put my efforts into some longer, base-building rides. Some group rides will be great for that too, plus will brush up my bike-handling skills for the rough-&-tumble of a racing peloton.

We'll see if I can keep my competitive urges in-check, and take the sensible approach...

No comments:

Post a Comment