Am I on track?

Am I on track?

Saturday 30 July 2011

A hefty weight to carry...

Next week, I am going to make my first cycle-commute into work since 'the accident' - nearly 10 months ago!!  So I have decided to take a few 'baseline measurements' so I can loosely track my progress as I re-enter the cycling world.  


This morning, I did a weigh-in to see where I would be starting my renewed cycling journey at.  My weigh-in protocol has always been designed to minimise as many variables as possible, so I can get a reasonably consistent measurement.  Basically, it entails getting out of bed, hitting the loo for morning ablutions, stripping off the pyjamas, and jumping on the scales (sorry for the gross disturbing visuals - especially if you were eating while you read this!!).


So what did I see when I looked down at the scales - 90 KILOGRAMS!!


My usual weight is around 81-82kg, and I trim down to a racing weight once or twice a year of 79-80kg for a big event.  


I remember when I visited the physio after my first round of shoulder surgery, she said, "You know, 95% of men in your position injury-wise will put on 10-ish kilos by the time you finish rehab and are ready to get back on the bike..."


How prescient!!  Looks like those hills are gonna hurt that little bit extra for the first few months as I try to shave off my 'excess'...  

1 comment:

  1. 90 kgs? You poor bugger. I'm pretty sure I'll have you beat when I get back from holiday :)

    ReplyDelete